Organization: Visit Alexandria, Alexandria, Virginia
Job Title: Communications Associate & Writer
Reports To: Communications Manager
Position Summary: The Communications Associate & Writer serves as a key writer for Visit Alexandria’s communication channels and utilizes project management skills to maintain media coverage tracking and regular reporting of departmental goals while also assisting with an array of other marketing strategies aimed at increasing tourism and meetings in Alexandria, Virginia.
Visit Alexandria promotes Alexandria, Virginia, as a premier destination for tourism and meetings. Named the #1 Best Value U.S. Travel Destination 2018 by Money magazine, a Top 5 Best Small City in the U.S. 2018 by the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards and one of the South’s Prettiest Cities 2018 by Southern Living, Alexandria hums with a cosmopolitan feel and a walkable lifestyle—a welcoming weekend escape next to our nation’s capital. A nationally designated historic district founded in 1749, Old Town Alexandria is home to more than 200 independent restaurants and boutiques alongside intimate historic museums and new happenings at the waterfront. At the heart of it all is bustling King Street, a walkable mile recognized as one of the “Great Streets” of America. New restaurants tucked in to 18th- and 19th-century architecture still intact from the city’s days as George Washington’s hometown ignite historic and off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods as the waterfront district evolves with new energy.
Visit Alexandria seeks a detail-oriented full time Communications Associate & Writer to be part of a dynamic team promoting Alexandria, a city whose reputation is rapidly growing. The ideal candidate is an outstanding writer, bringing to life key trends and content themes for Visit Alexandria’s communications channels that will attract leisure visitors as well as meetings, groups and weddings business to Alexandria. The candidate should have a familiarity with and love of the city as well as an eye for detail and strengths in proofreading and editing. The candidate is a skilled project manager, balancing ongoing media coverage tracking and departmental reports while assisting with a variety of media relations, marketing and event management projects. The Communications Associate & Writer is an integral member of Visit Alexandria’s Content Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Writing, Editing and Content Creation:
- Writes, proofreads, edits and contributes content for communication channels targeting the leisure travel audience, including Visit Alexandria’s website, VisitAlexandriaVA.com, the Official Alexandria Visitor Guide, advertorial articles and more.
- Writes, proofreads, edits and contributes content for meetings, groups and weddings communication tools, including the website, sales materials and more.
- Manages and serves as the primary writer for visitALX, Visit Alexandria’s blog, utilizing project management skills to develop and maintain an evolving calendar of timely posts that depict Alexandria’s authentic character and trends while meeting organization-wide marketing goals. Manages a timeline of blog post creation that includes drafting outlines for team input, writing posts based on thoughtful research, sourcing compelling images and getting final approvals.
- Assists with photography when images are needed for the blog.
- Contributes to social media content and messaging.
- Assists with various media relations tactics, including drafting fact sheets, proactive pitches and other materials as needed.
- Attends planning meetings and stays abreast of organizational priorities.
- Assists with special projects as necessary.
Research and Reporting:
- Researches and records media coverage resulting from recent press visits, writer inquiries and proactive pitches, evaluates the type of coverage achieved, and maintains the department’s Qualitative Measurement Tracking System spreadsheet.
- Reports regularly on departmental goals, including a monthly report and quarterly assessment of media coverage goals.
- Scans print media coverage and creates various public relations reports when needed, recapping special projects such as the annual Alexandria Holiday Boat Parade of Lights and Alexandria Wedding Showcase.
- Manages seasonal event listing collection through communication with more than 20 Visit Alexandria member businesses and local event organizers, tracking responses and need for follow-up, and editing submissions for use in press releases, on the website and more.
- Explores the city and develops relationships with member businesses, uncovering trends and story ideas.
Event Management Support:
- Provides event management support through assistance with logistical planning and on-site staff coverage.
Salary, Benefits and Culture:
Visit Alexandria is offering a salary of $40,000 with excellent health, dental, and vision benefits; 401(k) match; paid transit or parking; fitness center; and vacation. This is a terrific opportunity for a communications professional who has a passion for writing and is early in their career. Visit Alexandria has a small and supportive team offering the candidate a sense of ownership and influence from day one. Candidates will find a friendly office culture that is high energy, creative and positive. The office is Metro accessible (Braddock Road) and bike friendly.
Please forward resume, cover letter and 3 to 5 original writing samples to email@example.com with Communications Associate & Writer in the subject line. Please mention where you saw this posting. No phone calls please.