The National Confectioners Association is the pre-eminent organization in Washington, D.C. representing more than 650 candy, gum, and chocolate manufacturers and suppliers across the U.S. The National Confectioners Association fosters industry growth by advancing and promoting the interests of the confectionery industry and its consumers.
NCA’s Content Specialist is responsible for researching, writing and editing print and online content to position NCA, and its programs, services and signature events, as a thought leader in the space. The ideal candidate has the skills necessary to tackle a wide variety of writing projects from marketing materials that generate action to summaries that synthesize complex issues into easily communicated language for multiple audiences and produce outstanding work within a fast-paced, high-performing culture.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, researching, writing and editing content on a wide range of subjects for use in NCA print and online materials
- Creating content to market membership in the association, and to communicate the association’s value proposition, as well as to promote the association’s events and programs
- Working closely with the internal and external Sweets & Snacks Expo team to produce tailored content designed to promote participation and engagement in the association’s annual trade show
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a year-round content marketing calendar to engage the confectionery retail community
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of an association-wide editorial calendar
- Maintaining a working knowledge of issues and subjects important to NCA target audiences in order to contribute effective and impactful content
- Packaging and repositioning content for a variety of industry and external audiences
- Working with staff writers for Candy & Snack TODAY to contribute or edit association content in the publication
- Editing documents covering a wide range of topics and styles including press releases, comments submitted to government agencies, membership materials, event collateral, etc.
- Working with marketing team to craft subject lines, headlines and other content to increase open and click-through rates and increase engagement
- Staying up-to-date on best practices in print and digital content creation, as well as services and tools that can assist on the creation or dissemination of content
- Collaborating enthusiastically with different interest areas within the association to develop and bring to life unique content that generates actions and engagement
- Offering new, creative ideas for content enterprise-wide
- Performing other editorial duties in an effort to produce high quality publications and outstanding content
- Required: Bachelor's degree in English, writing, journalism or related field
- Required: 2-3 years of work experience, trade association/ membership association experience helpful
- Required: Exemplary writing/editing skills and a proven track record of creating high quality, engaging content across multiple formats
- Required: Solid background in marketing, or in writing content to generate revenue or action
- High level of familiarity with AP Style
- Working knowledge of best practices in content creation, and desire to stay-up-to-date on new tools and resources
- Familiarity with the use of an email service platform (NCA uses Informz, but experience with any similar system is acceptable)
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and project management skills
NCA offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. This is an on-site position in NCA's Washington, D.C., office.
Applicants should send resume, cover letter, salary requirements and a portfolio of work, including no fewer than three original writing samples (at least one of which should be a piece of marketing communications). All items must be included for consideration.
Final candidates will be given writing and editing assignments.
NCA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, NCA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
NCA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of NCA’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.