National Cherry Blossom Festival, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization based in Washington, DC, is currently seeking a Director of Marketing & Communications.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival produces and promotes the nation’s greatest springtime celebration and is dedicated to promoting the beauty of nature and international friendship through year-round programs, events, and educational and entertainment initiatives that enhance our environment, showcase arts and culture, and build community spirit.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of the Festival’s marketing and communications strategies and public relations activities, both external and internal. They oversee development and implementation of support materials and services for the Festival team in the areas of marketing and promotions, communications, and public relations. They manage the efforts of the marketing, communications and public relations team including creative services agencies and interns. The Director has a deep understanding of the NCBF brand and ensures all messages and creative execution are in line with the brand identity and standards. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, outgoing individual with a passion for collaborating with colleagues at all levels in a mission-driven work environment. This individual will bring an entrepreneurial spirit and is committed to innovation, creativity and excellence. A broad range of marketing knowledge, skills and marketing creativity is expected. The Director works with the President, Marketing Committee, and other management staff in charting the direction of the Festival.
The Director of Marketing & Communications is responsible for:
- Developing and executing a cohesive communications strategy
- Telling the Festival's story, delivering messaging projecting positive brand image to the public
- Crafting internal and external communications to enhance public engagement, support the organization’s mission and promote key Festival initiatives, programs and event activities
- Research, formulate, execute and evaluate success of all marketing, media, merchandising, and promotional plans, strategy and programs
- Building strong relationships and collaborate with key brand stewards both internal and external to cultivate and manage the Festival’s brand voice and style including external agencies and marketing and advertising partners
- Overseeing all communication products and tool development to ensure that all branding imagery and narratives meet organizational standards
- Working with external creative services agencies on development of all publications, collateral materials, advertisements and promotional signage; includes editorial direction (including copy/messaging and photography selection), design, production and distribution
- Overseeing the design and production of materials including Festival Guide, Annual Review, Newsletters and other marketing and communications materials
- Researching, formulating and executing all marketing research programs to include post event surveys and economic impact studies
- Overseeing internal staff including Communications & Media Relations Manager, Sponsorship & Communications Liaison, Marketing Associate, department contractor, interns and volunteers
- Developing and managing departmental budget
As an integral part of the NCBF team, this salaried exempt position participates fully in the production and execution of Festival events. This requires flexibility to be available evenings and weekends and to work additional hours during peak periods.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications or other related field preferred
- Minimum of five years’ experience with demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities
- Excellent project coordination, time management, and organizational skills with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical and personal sales skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Superior communication and writing skills
- Attention to detail, high productivity and concern for accuracy and excellence
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and strong database management skills are necessary
- Experience with Google Analytics, Salesforce, Mailchimp, Wordpress are preferred
- Must be a self-started, proactive and driven with a strong work ethic, a high level of motivation, a strong sense of urgency when needed, the ability to work without direct supervision and consistently meet deadlines
- Open to challenges and ability to quickly change lanes as necessary
- Demonstrated successful experience writing outbound messaging narratives (i.e. annual reports, scripts, advertorials), making presentations, and negotiating with marketing and advertising partners
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams
- Ability to work non-traditional hours
- Ability to foster positive, productive relationships, collaboration and teamwork, internally and externally, among staff, board members, volunteers, partners and other Festival stakeholders
1275 K Street, NW Suite 1000
Washington, DC 20005
Please email resume and cover letter articulating your relevant experience and salary expectations to JoAnn Nasser at email@example.com. Include in the subject line “Director of Marketing & Communications.” Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview.