Families USA, a national voice for health care consumers dedicated to the achievement of high-quality, affordable health care for all, is seeking a Senior Communications Manager to create and implement earned media strategies, including event planning, logistics, messaging, archiving, and measurement. As a key member of the Communications team, the Senior Communications Manager will coordinate with the Senior Director of Communications, Leadership Team and other departments, to effectively highlight Families USA’s campaigns and projects in the press. Manage messaging for all media interactions, including maintenance and cultivation of long-term media relationships. Lead outreach to national, D.C., and state-based journalists focused on the Hill, health care advocates, consumers, communities of color (especially Spanish-speaking communities), and other niche audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with leaders and internal partners to identify newsworthy features for multiple communication channels including media, internal publications and the Families USA website and social media platforms.
- Execute earned media strategies, including managing daily interaction with media outlets, creating earned media plans, overseeing the creation of all written media-related materials such as press statements, advisories, op-eds and talking points, overseeing the release of Families USA material, including the execution of press conferences and media teleconferences.
- Responsible for daily dissemination and assignment of all incoming media requests and outgoing pitches to media outlets for on-the-record and background opportunities.
- Oversight of the organization’s storytelling media requests working closely with Director of Storytelling Initiatives.
- >Assist in developing long-term communications strategies, including developing future report ideas, identifying messaging opportunities, and recognizing possible partnership opportunities.
- Coordinate and communicate with staff about our media effort and earned media opportunities.
- Oversee the cultivation and nurturing of relationships with members of the media, fellow media staff in allied organizations, and media professionals on the Hill and in the Administration.
- Manage special media projects, including training for minority journalists, workshops for Health Action Conference journalists, media training for staff.
- Ensure the proper tools and technology are available for effective operation, including Salesforce, a robust media list, and technology necessary for teleconferences and media clips collection and reporting.
- Serve as a standing member of the Health Action Conference communications team.
This is a full time-exempt position. The salary range will be between $60,000 - 65,000 depending on experience. Families USA offers a generous benefits package including excellent health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance benefits and generous vacation, sick leave, and holiday schedules. Families USA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified veterans and diverse candidates are encouraged to apply. No phone calls, please.
Education and Qualifications
- 4-5 years of experience as a journalist, media, or communications professional.
- 3-5 years of experience in managing press inquiries.
- Skilled in cultivating and maintaining media databases and press lists, including by specialized topic area.
- Pitching stories and spokespersons. Adept with media software such as Cision or Meltwater.
- Experience writing according to AP style.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume online via the link below.