The Partnership for Public Service is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with a big mission: we’re working to ensure the federal government is dynamic, innovative and that it effectively serves the American people. We’ve got a great team that helps make it happen.
Our staff is diverse in experience and perspective, but at our core, we share a lot of the same traits. We are mission-driven, creative, collaborative, optimistic and inclusive.
Our work is strategic, fast-paced and guided by our values:
- Passion for public service and our work toward a more effective government.
- People who promote a culture of learning, leadership, collaboration, inclusion and respect.
- Persistence to drive change, take strategic risks and deliver results.
- Promise to be trustworthy, nonpartisan and fiscally responsible.
We hire smart and friendly people who are great at what they do and good to one another in the process. Are you ready to join our team?
The Partnership for Public Service is seeking a strategic, results-oriented and experienced communications and marketing professional who believes strongly in the organization’s mission. Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the Senior Communications Manager will serve as a key deputy to the vice president and will advance the reputation and impact of the organization and its programs by helping to develop and implement the communication strategy and by providing strategic guidance and oversight to marketing and digital engagement efforts including social media, email, websites and constituent relationship management. This position will enhance brand identity, improve Partnership content and ensure consistency across platforms. In this role, the Senior Communications Manager will also lead strategic outreach efforts aimed at increasing the Partnership’s public profile.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Vice President of Communications in the development and implementation of the overall strategic communication plan for the organization.
- Advise the organization and its senior leaders on communications-related issues, including crisis communications and positioning of the Partnership’s program work externally.
- Support the Vice President of Communications in managing day-to-day operations of the team to ensure a high level of efficiency across various functional areas.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight on the organization’s marketing, web, design and social media efforts.
- Create and manage an editorial calendar and other mechanisms that help strengthen cohesiveness across multiple priorities and activities.
- Develop high-level communications partnerships with nonprofits, government leaders, universities, private sector companies, etc., that support the Partnership’s programs and mission.
- Identify and secure conference attendance, speaking opportunities and other high-profile opportunities for the organization.
- Build and develop relationships with communication team representatives from federal government offices, corporate sponsors and other partner organizations in support of the Partnership’s key initiatives.
- Work across the team and the organization to develop and manage the communications budget.
- Manage special projects as needed.
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, and the ability to provide effective advice, counsel and coaching on communications issues to senior leaders as well as peers.
- Very skilled in prioritizing, organizing, delegating and planning work.
- Outstanding management skills, with strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective storyteller who is adept at translating complex concepts into compelling messages for different key audiences including federal leaders and employees, policymakers and other thought leaders.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to juggle multiple projects, work efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Very strong proofreading skills, strong eye for detail and concern for quality.
- A critical thinker with outstanding judgment.
- Experience working collaboratively with internal teams and external partners and/or vendors.
- Strongly motivated by the mission of the Partnership for Public Service.
REQUIRED/PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent professional work experience.
- 7-10 years progressively responsible experience developing integrated communication strategies that advance organizational goals, build the organizational brand and grow key programs.
- Prior professional experience with nonprofit advocacy or direct experience marketing to the federal government preferred.
- Strong knowledge of digital communications platforms and how to leverage them for effective communications.
- Demonstrated skills in budgeting and fiscal management.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp or other email/direct marketing platforms is preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce or other constituent relationship management platforms a plus.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY/REPORTING STRUCTURE
This position reports to the Vice President of Communications. This position supervises a Marketing Manager, a Web and Design Manager and a Salesforce Administrator.
This job operates in a professional office environment in Washington, DC and at external venues, both local and out-of-state. This position requires consistent use of office equipment such as computer, telephone, printer and scanner.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time exempt position with regular work hours Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm. There may be occasional evening or weekend activities required.
If travel occurs, it is usually local and during the business day.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Partnership offers a compensation package that includes a competitive salary; medical, dental and vision coverage; life insurance; long- and short-term disability insurance; a 401k program with a 4 percent employer match; opportunities for training and development; 15 days of annual leave per year, 10 days of sick leave per year, plus all federal holidays and the day after Thanksgiving off; and subsidized use of an on-site exercise facility.
The Partnership is an inclusive organization that fosters learning, collaboration and respect. We actively recruit for diversity in our workplace, believing that a range of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences contributes to our mission of revitalizing government. The Partnership for Public Service is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any application for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability; or on any other basis prohibited by law.
1100 New York Avenue
Suite 200 East
Washington, DC 20005
Please apply at https://ourpublicservice.org/careers/